qwikLABS is now part of the AWS Enterprise Support perks! Read more here. Wondering what to do with your shiny new qwikLABS credits? Here are a few ways to take advantage of your new benefits:
Prepare for AWS certification with one of the certification exam prep Quests. (Here’s more about what a Quest is.) Did you know that to be part of the AWS Partner Network (APN), you need a certain number of AWS certified staff?
qwikLABS can help you prepare for the Developer-Associate Exam, the SA Associate Exam, the SA Professional Exam, and the SysOps-Associate Exam. Which badge appeals to you?
qwikLABS has a new look. Click here to check it out! You’ll notice a few new features that we think you’ll like (whether you do or not, we’d love to hear about it). Most of the changes are small, but we hope they will AWSome-ize your lab experience.
Here are some of the changes you should know about:
Attention! We are seeking your best tips, tricks, and must-not-misses for AWS re:Invent 2016. Been before? Heard from re:Invent veterans? What should you do to get the most of of your re:Invent experience?
Send us your tips – tagged with #qwikLABS – tweet us @qwikLAB, post on our Facebook wall, our LinkedIn page, or comment on this post (sending an email does not count). Next week, we will pick the 10 best tips and share them with you.
….And what’s the fun of a contest without a prize? The 10 winners will get 15 qwikLABS credits each, good for any AWS lab (or labs) in the catalog!
The deadline is September 16 if you want to be eligible for the contest.
Some ideas to get the conversation started…
- What one event is an absolute must?
- What’s your strategy for getting the best seats?
- Who has the best swag?
- What was the most useful thing you brought home with you? (Maybe a handful of qwikLABS token cards..?)
- Unforgettable breakfast spots, where you run into the most interesting people?
- Which event has the best snacks?
Are you planning to be at AWS re:Invent in November? qwikLABS is going, and we hope to see you there!
This is the first in a series of posts we’ll write leading up to the event. You will see all kinds of information, from packing lists to treasure maps. Today’s topic? How to get your ticket.
The easiest way, of course, is to register.
Looking for a challenge? There are a few ways to get to re:Invent for less…
Win a ticket with the Serverless Chat Bot Competition
- The challenge: Build a chat bot and win a ticket to re:Invent 2016! 8 tickets (plus other goodies) are up for grabs.
- Deadline: Sept. 29
- Click here for official details from the AWS team.
- Wondering where to start? Sign up for a free webinar from AWS. The webinar promises in-depth exploration of the skills you’ll need to master to build your own chat bot.
- … and finally, qwikLABS can help you learn to build a serverless chat bot! (Handy, eh?) With this Slack Chat Bot lab, you’ll get step-by-step instructions and a template for creating a chat bot. You can customize it to your heart’s content, then use it to enter the competition!
Earn the Alexa Developer Discount
If we find other nifty competitions or promos, we’ll be sure to share them. Good luck!
1. Voice design is today’s Jedi mind trick.
2. Vader wants a free t-shirt. It matches the rest of his wardrobe.
3. So his Echo can answer him when he asks “Alexa, where is the Rebel Alliance base?” Hint: Not Alderaan. (Too soon?)
The newest AWS Quest, Serverless Web Apps using Amazon DynamoDB awaits! With great power comes great responsibility, and DynamoDB and Lambda are powerful tools in your arsenal of AWS skills. Build a super hero mission dossier generator that retrieves data from DynamoDB via Lambda functions – and send super heroes on missions to save the world!
Every super hero has a backstory, and this Quest is no exception. Start the Quest by learning the basics with Introduction to AWS Lambda, Introduction to Amazon DynamoDB, and Introduction to AWS API Gateway. (If you already completed these labs, you don’t need to take them again. They already count towards your badge. Unless you want a refresher of course!)
Your mission, should you choose to accept it…
Now that you know the backstory, at the core of this Quest is a 3-part mission:
Part 1: Lay the groundwork for your mission. Create a DynamoDB table and practice adding data in several different ways. Then set up AWS IAM infrastructure you will need throughout the lab.
Part 2: It’s up to you now… to create Lambda functions that retrieve data from the DynamoDB table in several different ways. Once you create the functions, you will test them. Challenge yourself to dig into the Lambda function code and modify the custom tests provided in the manual.
Part 3: Complete your mission! Conclude this three-part series by configuring an API using Amazon API Gateway and setting up a public website to retrieve information from your DynamoDB table via Lambda functions, using what you learned in all three labs to send super heroes off to save the world!
This would look great on your resume.
Did you know that you can purchase a qwikLABS subscription? Get all-you-can-eat access to every single lab in our AWS catalog for $55/month. It’s the most economical way to earn a badge or two.
Were you at the AWS Summit in NYC? We hope you had time to swing by the hands-on lab room! Even if you didn’t make it, we hope to see you at the next one.
While you’re at an AWS Summit…
There’s always a ton of speakers, events, and programs with AWS experts and super-users. Usually you can find qwikLABS there too! If you haven’t been to one yet, or if you’re thinking of going to the next one, here’s why you should make the trip: